- Literally hundreds of domestic and international projects give us an unparalleled experience level in the shade sails industry.
- Our knowledge can only be described as extensive and is truly global. It covers all aspects of tension membranes from shade sail design & engineering, footings, structural steel, hardware to fabric types (everything and anything you could ever want to know about different shade structure fabrics), patterning & analysis, fabrication, right up to final installations and methods.
- The customer, architect and builder all benefit from our involvement in hundreds of successful shade structure projects in all states of Australia and many countries overseas. We have a lot to bring to the table!
“Our goal is to supply practical, aesthetically and architecturally pleasing shade structures that last for decades.”
Difference 2: Perfected Techniques
- Membrane shade structures are a highly specialised form of building. Woven knitted shade cloth shade sails are a completely different product and not considered a true tension membrane structure. Too often the assumption is made that this form of building is “simple.” This mistake is made as most aspects of fabric shade structures are completed off-site (which is great news for the customer as site disturbance is minimised.)
- The reality is there are many detailed processes, components, methods, software packages and manufacturing techniques associated with a fabric tension membrane shade structure. Careful design and engineering is also a vital process that is essential to a successful outcome.
- We have seen many come unstuck underestimating just how specialised tension membrane shade structures can be.
- Prospective customers need to know that it is vital to engage a company that has the knowledge and resources to execute a project with a successful outcome. Researching previous projects, their website, references and even factory inspections are good ways of ascertaining a companies true ability to provide the service you need.
- Over the years and through our experience with all types, sizes and styles of fabric shade structures we have perfected the best way to approach each and every aspect of any tension membrane shade structure. From consultation and point of sale, to design and engineering, to manufacturing and installation we are there to offer our expertise. Our vast knowledge in the shade sail industry is also passed on to many other shade sail fabric suppliers and manufacturers as we service their needs to supply the market with fabric shade structures.
- We have the experience, know-how and ability to ensure the success of every project.
True Tension Membrane
Other Shade Companies
Difference 3: Quality and Longevity
- The real differences are evident over time.
- To design, manufacture and install a high quality shade sail product requires a certain investment.
- We refuse to sacrifice on quality. We manufacture our membrane shade structures using nothing but the best and that is why our shade structures stand the test of time.
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin.”
Difference 4: Design and Engineering
- The latest software, innovative techniques and experienced skilled staff combine to produce award winning shade structures.
- Our methods are proven time and time again.
- With a combined industry experience of over 60 years our design team is an elite and highly capable tool at your service.
- We can help you visualise the proposed shade structure and design in the space with rendered images.
Shade Structure Design Concepts & Rendered Images
Difference 5: Fittings and Hardware
- We use extremely heavy duty, custom machined and fabricated fittings to suit the specific application; marine grade stainless steel or hot dipped galvanised treated steel.
- We use proven methods and custom machining to ensure the performance and quality of our shade sails; treated with the best corrosive protection to ensure decades of performance.
- The size and type of hardware is the easiest way to differentiate between a correctly designed and manufactured shade structure and a poorly under-engineered shade structure. Fabric shade structures under the correct high levels of prestress require large, extremely heavy duty clamping plates and tensioning devices.
Shade To Order Spec Corner
- Large hardware
- Fully HF welded (no stitching)
- Individually adjustable wires
- Multiple layers of fabric for reinforcing
Other Shade Sail Companies
- Stitched with thread
- Very small hardware
- Non-adjustable wires
- Likely to fail
Difference 6: Fabric Membrane
- Any tension membrane shade structure is only as good as its weakest link. The smartest thing a prospective buyer of a shade structure can do is insist that the fabric is made with absolutely no stitching.
- Stitching is a big mistake with a true fabric tension structure, regardless of the type. Any puncturing of the fabric surface will ultimately shorten its life as allows for the ingress of dirt and eventually mildew to penetrate the fabric cloth. This will destroy the fabric and lead to failure in shorter than ideal time frame.
- The stitching will almost certainly be the first thing to fail over time, rendering the whole shade structure useless and a waste of money. High Frequency welding is the smart alternative.
- Industry standard welding using high frequency radio waves bonds the fabric to itself with comparable strength at all points, meaning no weak points.
- Shade to Order owns and operates multiple large high frequency welding machines – we do not stitch fabrics.
- We use a light table and automated vacuum plotter/cutter to ensure the highest accuracy and quality shade structures.
Difference 7: Ownership
- We are 100% Australian owned and operated, employing Australian staff.
- Our structural steelwork is fabricated in Australia, from Australian steel.
- Wherever possible we use all Australian materials and products in our shade structures.
- This means profits stay in this wonderful country of ours!
Difference 8: Award Winners
- We are multiple international award winners for our shade structures. Practical, aesthetically and architecturally pleasing shade structures – we have mastered the art!